Planning application guidance

To submit a planning application, please use the online Planning Portal.


You will need to submit all the relevant information in the national validation requirements as well as relevant information in our local validation requirements:

You will need to provide the required information for your application to be valid, or submit an Article 12 notice.

Before starting, make sure you have:

Planning application fee

Most planning applications need to be accompanied by a fee. The fees are set by central government. View our fee calculator or you can use the fee schedule (PDF). You must pay your fee when you complete your application through the Planning Portal, so that your application is received by our Planning Team.

Application types not currently available online

View paper versions of forms online.

Common planning queries

Vehicular crossovers and dropped kerbs

There are two different application processes. The first is planning permission which may or may not be required, and the second is Highways consent. View information for these applications.

If you need to make a planning application, you can do so on the Planning Portal. Select the householder application type if your application is to a residential property, or a full planning application if the property is commercial or other non-domestic use.

Changing the use of a premises

You may not always need planning permission to change the use of your premises where the change is for a similar type of use. For example, a green grocer's can be changed to a clothes shop without needing planning permission.

Find more information about use classes.

The Local Planning Authority is not able to confirm whether the current use of a property is authorised. If you think the use of the premises is lawful and want confirmation, you will need to submit an application for a certificate of lawful development.

Before you negotiate a lease or buy a commercial property, it’s always worth considering whether you need to obtain planning permission for your intended use. You also need to remember that planning applications may take eight weeks or longer to be decided.

Change of use to a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you’re considering changing a residential dwelling (in use class C3) to an HMO (in use class C4), you will need to apply for planning permission. This is because we have withdrawn permitted development rights for this type of development through an Article 4 Direction (PDF).

Working from home

Some types of work or business undertaken at home will need to be considered by the planning department. If the overall character of your home will change because of business activities, you will need to apply for a full planning application.

We must consider whether:

If you think your proposed change won’t alter the overall character of your home and won’t need planning permission, we recommend you submit an application for a certificate of lawful development.

Waste and recycling storage guidance for developers

View our waste and recycling storage planning guidance (PDF) for both construction of new developments and refurbishment or development of existing ones.

Building work on a planning decision that is not in your name

Planning permission is linked to the land and not the applicant, but you must check any conditions on a decision notice to make sure it doesn’t restrict use to a named person.

If conditions do not restrict the permission to a named person, land or buildings can be sold or let where planning permission has been granted and the new owner can start the works.

All planning applications will appear as entries on the land registry search and you may be able to view decisions using our Online Planning Register.