New Avenue is in Southgate N14, in the Cockfosters Ward of Enfield. The area includes Beardow Grove, Coverack Close, Oakwood Lodge, Shepcot House, Hood Avenue open space and the garage site to the rear of Lousada Lodge.
The New Avenue Estate regeneration programme will see the existing blocks (with 171 homes, including 130 council homes, 41 leasehold properties and a pre-school nursery) demolished and redeveloped along with the Hood Avenue open space and the garage site to the rear of Lousda Lodge.
The 400+ new homes, multi-purpose nursery and community centre, community amenity space and parking, will help create a vibrant environment for the estate and wider community.
A sustainable urban drainage system has been created to control storm water run-off, making the area free from flood risk in future.
Countryside Properties won the tender to develop the site in 2014. As part of planning consent, they are making financial contributions to the local community for educational and transport improvements. They are also supporting local apprenticeships and training during the construction stages.
This regeneration project involves three construction phases, with planning consent for 268 private sale properties and 140 affordable homes. Vacant possession of the existing blocks for phase 1 completed in January 2018, and demolition of the old blocks, Beardow Grove, Oakwood Lodge and the garages
behind Lousada Lodge followed shortly. Greater London Authority planning approval was received on 16 April 2018.
Residents already moved from the demolished blocks for phase one are living temporarily in vacant flats in Shepcot House and Coverack Close. Other vacant flats have been let as temporary accommodation for others in need.
In phase two Shepcot House and some of Coverack Close will be vacated for demolition, and eligible residents moved into their new homes completed in phase one. Phase three will see the remaining residents in Coverack Close move into the new homes completed for phase two.
Phase one construction of the first new blocks by Avenue Road is complete, with all twenty homes now sold. The construction of blocks in the former Hood Avenue open space are well underway. Phase one comprises 127 new homes, including 53 affordable homes, and is due for completion in early 2020.
To see the fully developed masterplan and design proposals for regenerating the New Avenue Estate, view the exhibition boards (PDF, 5749.5 KB) from our September 2015 drop-in event.
View the information boards for phases two and three (PDF, 7272.15 KB) from our resident consultation held on 5 February 2019.
For more information, see:
- New Avenue notice of confirmation - frequently asked questions (PDF, 39.9 KB)
- Order as confirmed by Secretary of State plan (PDF, 371.08 KB)
The new homes will be connected to the Oakwood heat network, with low carbon heating and hot water supplied by our energy company Energetik.
People living in Enfield will have the first opportunity to purchase the new homes, and tenants will keep their secure tenancies if they choose to remain on the estate. Locals will also be prioritised with jobs and training opportunities.
- We will continue to work carefully with tenants and leaseholders to obtain vacant possession of buildings as necessary for phases two and three during 2020/21, to assist with moving into their new homes and to consult with them to ensure their views are heard
- Following a planning consultation event with the local community in February 2019, the architects have been producing redesigns for phases two and three. There has since been an ongoing process whilst the developer, architects, council and planners have explored all opportunities to ensure the new designs
provide the best outcomes. The proposals include increasing the total units on the site and to produce more affordable housing, but also ensuring that the public and community benefits are maximised. The aim is to keep the height of the buildings within the existing consented roofline.
- A full planning application is now expected in early 2021
- The whole project is now scheduled for completion during 2026/27, depending on how the negotiations over the revised planning application progress
- Demolition Notice (PDF, 47.85 KB)
- New Avenue phase one booklet (PDF, 1632.91 KB)
- New Avenue pedestrian access (PDF, 226.46 KB)
- Countryside information update (PDF, 1117.82 KB)
- New Avenue update - Summer 2019 (PDF, 1461.67 KB)
- Countryside Properties planning consultation summary (PDF, 894.14 KB)
- New Avenue update - August 2020 (PDF, 2155.56 KB)
- New Avenue update - March 2021 (PDF, 1836.54 KB)