Register new build and converted properties for Council Tax

If your property is newly built, we will not be able to charge you Council Tax until the property is structurally complete. This is the date on which the property becomes a dwelling for Council Tax purposes and is entered into the Valuation List.

How to register your new build property for Council Tax

Once your property has been finished, please email and provide the following information:

The band of your property is set by the Valuation Office Agency and until they have set this, we are unable to send a bill. Our council officers will regularly visit and review dwellings that are being built or altered. Please be aware that until the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) enter the property into the valuation list, we are unable to send you a bill. We will send you confirmation of your account number so that you can start to pay if you wish. The average band for a property is a band D. You can calculate roughly how much you will need to pay.

When the banding process has been completed your bill may be backdated to the date you purchased property or to the date your tenancy started, so please bear this in mind and make the necessary arrangements.

Completion Notices

How the completion date is decided

When the property is complete, we will issue a Completion Notice. This includes where the work remaining is expected to be completed within 3 months. We will serve a Completion Notice on the owner of the property or the person entitled to possession of it.

If the property becomes occupied before a Completion Notice is served, it will be entered onto the Council Tax Valuation List and the occupier will be liable to pay Council Tax from the date of occupation.

To make sure that our Completion Notices are accurate, council officers regularly visit and review dwellings that are being built or altered. We may collect evidence such as photographs, to help us make our decision.

We consider a property to be substantially complete when it meets the following criteria:

The following work does not have to have been carried out for a property to be considered ready for Council Tax banding:

A Completion Notice can be served up to 3 months before the completion date. You may receive a Completion Notice when the property is substantially complete, and we think that remaining works can reasonably be expected to be completed within 3 months.

Please check the completion date on any notice you receive before you decide whether to appeal against it.

How your Council Tax will be affected

Once your property is complete, it will be subject to a full Council Tax charge from the completion date. This is the date it is brought onto the Council Tax Valuation List. A Completion Notice cannot be backdated, even if the property has been completed for some time.

What to do if you disagree with the Completion Notice

If you disagree with a Completion Notice, you must appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service within 28 days of when the notice was served. Your appeal must be in writing, stating the grounds for the appeal, and you must include a copy of the Completion Notice that has been issued to you.

If you are thinking about submitting an appeal, please contact us by email at straight away.

We will look at our decision again, and we may:

We will advise you of our new decision as soon as possible, to allow you enough time to submit an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service if you wish.

To find out more about the Valuation Tribunal part of the appeal process, including contact details and an online appeal form, visit the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Street naming and numbering

Street naming and numbering (SNN) is the process by which streets and properties are allocated official addresses. All new developments must be officially named or numbered, and existing properties that are being converted must be re-named and/or re-numbered. As a developer or owner, you must register postal addresses to avoid confusion in the event of an emergency and to receive mail, deliveries and other services.

Contact SNN

Please only contact SNN if you wish to change the official name or number of your property. SNN does not have anything to do with the setting of bands. To contact SNN, email

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up