Premises licence and club premises certificate

Pay a premises licence or club premises certificate fee

A premises licence or a club premises certificate is required when a premises or private member’s club will sell or supply alcohol, and provide entertainment and late night refreshment (between 11pm and 5am).

Under the Live Music Act, a licence may not always be needed. For more information, see GOV.UK.

Applications should include an operating schedule, plan of the premises and a form of consent from the designated premises supervisor (DPS). If a licence is granted, it will be subject to mandatory licence conditions.

You should advertise your application in the local newspaper and the blue notice must be prominently displayed at the premises to which it relates, where it can be easily read from the exterior of the premises. In the case of a premises that covers an area of more than 50 metres square, a further similar notice must be displayed every 50 metres along the external premises abutting any highway. The Licensing team will give notice of the application to relevant parties, including the Chief Constable and the London Fire and Rescue Authority.

It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities and, if convicted, you could be given a fine and a six-month prison term.

New licences and certificates

Apply for new premises licence (PDF, 479.04 KB)

Apply for new club premises certificate (PDF, 653.26 KB)

Useful documents

Transferring a licence or varying a DPS

You can also make an application to transfer an existing premises licence to a new licence holder, or to make a change to the DPS.

Apply to transfer premises licence (PDF, 341.1 KB)

Apply to vary DPS (PDF, 185.69 KB)

Useful documents

Making a variation to a licence

You can also make an application to make a variation to an existing licence. You should advertise this application in the local newspaper and outside the premises. For minor variations, such as small adjustments to licensing hours and activities, there is a different form to complete. A premises notice is required but newspaper advertising is not.

Apply to vary a premises licence (PDF, 360.07 KB)

Apply for minor variation of premises licence (PDF, 258.33 KB)

Apply to vary a club premises certificate (PDF, 353.76 KB)


A provisional statement can be applied for where a premises is being or is about to be constructed, or extended, and the proposed plans, activities and times are submitted to establish whether the proposals would be granted.

Apply for a provisional statement (PDF, 433.44 KB)

An Interim authority notice can be applied for when the premises licence lapses owing to death, incapacity, insolvency of the holder or where the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK. This notice provides that the licence can be reinstated in these special circumstances, if the notice is given within 28 days to the licensing authority.

Interim authority notice (PDF, 277.16 KB)

Any person may ask the licensing authority to review the application because of a matter arising at the premises in connection with any of the four licensing objectives.

Review of a licence (PDF, 191.45 KB)

Club premises certificate licence holders can use the form below to notify the Licensing Authority of changes. These changes include the name or address of the premises licence holder, a change to the name or address of a registered club, or a change to the club rules.

Change of name or address

Change of name or address of any of the below:

Email along with proof of online payment of £10.50, clearly stating which licence number (LN/xxxxxxxxx) the information relates to, and state the new name and address required to update on the licence.

Duplicate licence request

Email along with proof of online payment of £10.50, requesting a duplicate licence, clearly stating the licence number (LN/xxxxxxxxx) that you require a duplicate of.

Useful documents

If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

Further information

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up