Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. However, it has now mostly been replaced by Universal Credit.

You can now only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

If any of the above apply, you can use benefits calculators to see if you’re eligible for Housing Benefit.

Make a claim for Housing Benefit

Providing evidence to support your claim

When you apply, you will need to provide evidence of your identity, rent, income, savings and other capital.

You may need to provide original proof of identity in person for you and your partner. These should be taken to either Enfield Town Library or Edmonton Green Library. They must not be sent in the post.

Please note: The Edmonton hub is closed from 2pm and the Enfield Town hub from 2:45pm on the third Wednesday of each month for training purposes.

You can email photos of all other documents to revs@enfield.gov.uk. The subject line of your email must be the reference number of your application inside pointed brackets, for example <XXXXXX>. Attach your photos and an explanation if needed.

You will receive an automated response confirming receipt of your email. You should wait 10 working days after submitting your application and all required documents before asking about your application.

When you may not be able to claim Housing Benefit

Usually, you will not get Housing Benefit if you:

You can also refer to information on:

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up