Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. It is processed and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). This is a means tested benefit for working-age people and replaces the following 6 benefits:

If you’re getting any of these benefits or tax credits, you do not have to do anything unless:

You should not delay when applying for Universal Credit as there is limited backdating of payments.

You cannot claim Universal Credit for your housing costs if you:

If any of these apply, you should claim Housing Benefit instead.

Applying for Universal Credit

For more information on Universal Credit and how to apply, visit GOV.UK/Universal Credit.

Housing rent payments

If your tenancy is managed by Enfield Council and you start to receive Universal Credit, your housing costs will be included in your Universal Credit payment. You will need to pay all the rent you are charged out of this payment.

If you're experiencing difficulties in paying your rent, contact us and we will do our best to help you. Call us on 020 8379 1000 or email rent.council.housing@enfield.gov.uk. Make sure you include your name, address, payment reference and a contact telephone number.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up