Questions asked by Ukrainian refugees

Enfield Ukraine Network launch event

Questions and answers from our welcome event on 25 August 2022.

What happens to us now our 6 months initial placement with our hosts is coming to an end?

We contacted the government's Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) and were given the following information:

"Hosting relationships are able to continue as long as both the host and guest(s) wish them to continue. Funding for councils and hosts has only been agreed for the first 12 months. We will review funding beyond the first 12 months after the arrival of guests and any announcements regarding this will be made in due course."

This means your current options are:

We will support you to move to any location in the UK you want to. Our ‘Find Your Own Home’ scheme provides financial help and practical support to those who need it. For more information talk to your support worker.

How do we find and access English for speakers of other languages courses? Do any provide childcare?

The Migrant Training Company are working for us to provide English Language courses for Ukrainians in Enfield. You will need to register to secure a place on a course - you should organise this through your support worker. The first course started in September 2022. These classes are free, but do not provide childcare. However, we are looking into how to provide English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) courses with childcare facilities and we will update you on our progress.

In the meantime, there is also a free online English language learning service you can access through our libraries. See information about finding, accessing, and using our libraries.

Once you have signed up for the service, called Transparent Language Online, you can download an app to your mobile phone and learn English.

What help is there for children and teenagers to socialise and integrate?

In the UK, children aged 5 to 16 are required to be in full-time education. Find out about free state-funded school places in Enfield and how to make an application. Schools have many activities including sports, music, and drama clubs.

Our Youth Development Services have a range of exciting activities and programmes. Enfield also has youth centres providing a range of positive activities for young people aged between 11 and 19.

Is it true that if you leave the UK for more than 4 weeks, you have to reapply for funding for your host?

No, you do not have to reapply for funding for your host/sponsor if their address remains your main home in London. We contacted the DLUHC and were given the following information:

"If a guest spends time away from their sponsor’s address, whether on holiday or for other reasons, then the guest is still resident at the sponsor’s address if:

In an instance as described above, if the guest is still considered to be resident in the household, then the host or sponsor would continue to be eligible to receive thank you payments."

Is there a system for benchmarking Ukrainian qualifications to UK ones?

The UK National Information Centre for the recognition and evaluation of international qualifications and skills provides this service. For most qualifications it is an easy process, however, it may take longer for professional qualifications, such as those for medical doctors. In simple terms, this service evaluates overseas qualifications and then informs the individuals who hold them about the equivalent of their qualifications in the UK. It also gives information on any additional training, known as conversion courses, individuals may need to take to make their qualifications recognised in the UK. We have applied for membership of this organisation.

For more information, email or speak to your support worker.

What information is there for Ukrainians seeking employment?

For help with finding work, contact your local Jobcentre Plus office. You will be assigned a work coach who will advise you. Enter your postcode to find your nearest job centre, and look for jobs.

See what jobs and career opportunities there are with Enfield Council.

We also run a free specialist support, mentoring and training programme called STEP. It is designed to support people in Enfield who are looking for work experience, training or to find a job. The STEP team can help to match you with local employers, such as retailers, community care providers and construction companies. Find out more information about the STEP programme or email to contact the team directly.

Can cheaper transport be provided?

Transport for London and the Mayor of London are responsible for transport in the capital. Check if you are eligible for free or discounted travel and for details on how to apply. If you're unemployed and looking for work, you may be entitled to discounted travel in London.

If you qualify, we can also help you with free travel in London, on buses, the Underground, and most Overground trains.

Find out if you are eligible for a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass and details on how to apply.

Once you have submitted your online application, please email and add your application number and the words ‘Ukrainian Refugee’ to the subject line. This will alert our team to your application so it can be prioritised. If you are unable to complete the online application form, you can find help by visiting any of our libraries.

Could information from Enfield Council be put in a centralised place on the website so it is easier for us to find? Also, could you provide information to us in Ukrainian?

Yes, see our information for Ukrainians living in Enfield which we will update regularly.

The information on the page can be translated into Ukrainian or any other language - cookies must be enabled for the translation tool to work.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up