You can arrange a weekly collection of non-infectious or sanitary waste. This will be placed into orange/yellow bags with a black stripe.
You can also request on-demand collections for sharps, syringes and needles. Our sharps bin service will need to be requested each time you want a collection (ensure the sharps bin is at least three quarters full before booking a collection).
When requesting a collection, you will need to tell us about the waste you would like us to collect. Once we have received your application, we will contact you to arrange a collection.
Medical professionals should tell you if your waste needs to be disposed of using a specialist collection service. They should also advise on how to dispose of any equipment you are given to manage your health and provide training.
Things that our healthcare waste service can collect:
- sharps, syringes and needles (a special bin will be provided)
- surgical dressings and swabs used for wounds or other healthcare reasons
- empty insulin cartridges
- insulin pump infusion sets
Sorry but we can’t collect:
- certain pharmaceutical products
- human tissue
- hazardous or infectious clinical waste
- cytotoxic waste (purple bags/boxes)
Important note - This service is not for residents being cared for by a community nurse or other health professionals. This waste should be disposed of by the healthcare provider.
Healthcare waste in your general waste bin
You can double bag and dispose of these items with your household rubbish:
- Bed pan contents and liners
- Nappies and incontinence pads
- Stoma bags and urine containers (where there is no blood)
- Dialysis products
EN1, EN2, EN4, N11, N13, N14, N21, N22
EN3, EN8, N9, N17, N18
Important information about household healthcare waste collection
- Replacement bags - When we collect your bag(s) or sharps bin we will give you the same number of replacement bags or bins
- Collections - If you live in a house, place your sealed healthcare waste visibly on your doorstep by 6am on your collection day. If you live in a flat, place your healthcare waste visibly in the communal bin area. These terms also apply to schools.
If you no longer need this service, you should contact us as soon as possible.
Missed collections must be reported within 24 hours of collection day. Reports made after this time may not be investigated.
Request a healthcare waste collection
Cancel a healthcare waste collection