Reporting an empty private property
Empty residential properties are targets for squatters, vandals and burglars.
To bring empty privately-owned homes back into use, we need help to find all empty properties in Enfield (including properties which house squatters). It could be a house, flat or property that has potential to become residential accommodation.
If you own, live next door to, or know of an empty property, you can report it online.
Empty property renovation grants
We have grants for long-term empty homes (PDF, 1261.45 KB). We also offer help via the Keeping House Scheme, for empty properties belonging to people who have moved into care homes.
Renovation grants are available if you own a long-term empty home:
- We can pay up to 80% of the cost of major repairs (depending on a maximum grant limit)
- We cover items such as replacement windows, central heating, roofing and electrical works
- You don’t need to pay the grant back
In return, you will agree to lease the home to a family chosen by the council for at least three years. During this time, you will receive guaranteed rent and a full management service.
Renting your empty property
Rental and leasing schemes
There are many rental schemes to encourage owners to make use of empty properties. For more information about leasing schemes for private landlords, visit the landlord with a property to rent section.
Enforcement on empty homes
If you’re concerned about an empty home, or can see a property that has been empty for a while, we can:
- make a compulsory purchase order if we have failed to encourage an owner to bring the property back into use. Once we receive approval from the Secretary of State, we own the property. We will then either sell the property on the open market or to a Registered Provider.
- serve a repair notice on the property so the owner will need to make repairs within a specific period. If they fail to comply, we can carry out the work and charge the owner
- enforce a sale when there is an outstanding debt owed to us. We then take possession of the property and sell it on the open market.
Lists of empty properties
Under the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information Act, we don’t publish lists of empty properties.
You can contact Private Sector Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org.