Beware of housing disrepair companies

Our council tenants are being encouraged by ‘no win, no fee’ companies to make legal compensation claims against us for housing disrepair.

Any agreement made with these companies could potentially put you at financial risk.

What you need to know

Disrepair claims companies are not always what they seem. They may:

* Ask to see identification before letting unexpected callers into your home – council employees and contractors always carry ID cards.

How to get your repair problems fixed by us

Report any repairs needed to your home either:

If you have reported disrepair and we have not fixed it within a reasonable time, you can make a complaint online.

The advantages of using these channels before pursuing legal action are:

For more information, see our frequently asked questions, or contact us by email at or phone on 020 8379 1000 (option 4, option 2) Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

For independent advice about housing disrepair, visit Housing Ombudsman, Shelter and Citizens Advice.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up