Street trading licence

Pay a street trading licence fee

Enjoy Enfield safely logo

Enjoy Enfield safely pavement licence

A pavement licence allows businesses to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, outside cafes, bars and restaurants.

Since July 2020, businesses have been able to apply for a temporary pavement licence to help during the Covid pandemic. This was regulated under the Business and Planning Act 2020 which expires on 30 September 2024. New legislation will be introduced to make the pavement licence a permanent scheme, but this is yet to become law.

The fee for new licences and renewals is currently £100. All new licences or renewed licences will be valid until 30 September 2024 (unless a lesser period is specified following the consultation process).

We encourage pavement licence holders to use the free resources from CPNI (Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure), to help improve vigilance in their employees. We also encourage you to download the MPS PSO 'London Shield' app to your mobile phone.

Apply for a pavement licence (PDF, 249.61 KB)

Standard conditions (PDF, 44.32 KB) will be applied to licences, including the condition that smoking is banned in licensed areas. In certain circumstances, special conditions may also be applied.

If you have any questions, email

Further information about the new pavement licence

The Business and Planning Act 2020 allows businesses to apply for a licence to enable them to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, outside cafes, bars and restaurants.

The application process requires a 7-day public consultation period. During this time the applicant must display the site notice advertising the application. Applicants will receive notification of the outcome of the application 14 days after it is submitted.

The temporary amendments to the Licensing Act 2003 (which permitted premises licence holders who were licensed to serve alcohol on-premises, to also sell alcohol for consumption off the premises without needing to apply for a variation of their licence) has been extended until 31 March 2025.

We will still accept a minor variation application where a premises licence holder for on-sales only applies to add off-sales to their licence. A minor variation is likely to be accepted where a premises licence holder took advantage of the temporary amendment, and there has been no adverse impact on licensing objectives.

You can view the pavement licences draft guidance at GOV.UK.

Other street trading licences

If the pavement licence does not meet your requirements, you may need one of the following street trading licences, which if granted, will allow you to:

This does not include pedlars, news vendors, milkmen or sales on private land. A licence is not required to place goods for sale on land which forms part of the premises (not the highway). Displaying goods, including fruits and vegetables, on the highway outside a premises is not permitted. For a full list of designated streets, see our application forms.

It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities and, if convicted, you could be given a £1,000 fine.

The terms, conditions and restrictions of the licence must be complied with whenever the licence is in use. View the Street Trading Tables and Chairs Standard Conditions (PDF, 18.99 KB).

Apply for a temporary street trading licence (PDF, 208.93 KB)

Apply for a tables and chairs for outside seating licence (PDF, 236.34 KB)

Apply for a shop forecourts licence (PDF, 29.76 KB)

If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

Ice cream trading

We do not issue street trading licences for ice cream sales. ‘Ice cream’ includes goods that are wholly or mainly ice cream, frozen confectionery, or other similar commodities. People who own ice cream vans may trade as ‘itinerant traders’.

To be classed as an itinerant trader, you must travel from place to place and only remain in one location while trading for 15 minutes or less. You must also not return to the same location, or any other location in the same street, on the same day.

People trading from the traditional stop-me-and-buy-one tricycle or similar, are also subject to the same conditions. If you leave the vehicle parked and travel on foot, for example with a small frozen cabinet, you will still infringe the regulations.

Even if you find private land to trade from with the written permission of the landowner, you must be situated at least 7 metres away from the nearest footway or roadway.

Traders convicted of unlicensed street trading face a daily fine up to £1,000. If you're seen trading after being convicted in the courts, the police or council officers can seize the vehicle. It is then up to a magistrates’ court whether you get the vehicle back.

For more information see:

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up