Replacement certificates and historical searches

We offer replacement certificates for the following events that have occurred in Enfield since 1837:

You can apply by post or in person at Enfield Register Office.

You will be given an application form to complete or you can complete it in advance. You can download the application form using the links at the bottom of the page.

If you wish to apply by post, you can complete the application form or write a letter giving the required details. Your certificate will be sent back to you by standard second-class post. If you want to receive it more quickly, you should provide a first-class self-addressed envelope when you apply.

When you make your application, you will need to supply:

For the event the certificate refers to, you need to tell us:

If you are not completely sure about these details, it may not be possible to find the entry you’re looking for.

For example, you may only know that the event occurred in Edmonton, but don't know the exact location such as the hospital or church. In this case, your entry may be held at another register office. This is because Edmonton district records are held at several different register offices.

In instances like this, you should contact the General Register Office. This office holds all the birth, death, marriage and civil partnership records for England and Wales.

However, identifying a volume and page number for a record at the General Register Office does not help us locate a record at Enfield Register Office. This is because the General Register Office has its own cataloguing system.

Certificate fees and waiting times

Certificates cost a fee. We aim to have your certificate ready within 10 working days of receiving your application. If you need a certificate urgently, our priority service guarantees you can collect your certificate from 4pm the next working day, if you order in person before 3pm. If your application is received after 3pm, it will be included with the next working day orders and will be ready to collect the day after. There is an additional fee per certificate for the priority service. View our certificate fees.

If you're applying by post, enclose a postal order made payable to London Borough of Enfield. We no longer accept cheques.

If you're applying in person, you will need to pay by debit or credit card. We do not accept any other payment method in person.

Historical searches

You can carry out your own general search of our indexes if you know the names and dates of the entries you are looking for. You will need to pay a fee for the search. Contact the Enfield Register Office to book an appointment for a general search.

You may find the following links helpful:

Application forms

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up