Re-registering a birth
A birth re-registration can be requested for two reasons:
- to add the natural father's details to a birth certificate
- to show that the child's natural parents have married each other since the birth
Details that are already on the birth certificate cannot be amended via the re-registration process. If any details are incorrect, a correction is required.
You will need to call 020 8379 1000 to book an appointment to re-register the birth.
If the child's parents are not married and wish to add the natural father's details to the birth registration, you will both need to attend the appointment. The father will need to tell the registrar:
- his full name
- where he was born
- what he does for work
If you cannot attend the appointment together, you will need to contact us for more information.
If the child's natural parents have married each other since the birth and wish to show this on the birth registration, either parent can attend the appointment. Both parents are welcome to attend. Whoever attends will need to provide the necessary information to the registrar. If you were not married in the United Kingdom, you will need to contact us for more information.
The waiting time for a re-registration appointment varies and you may have to wait until one becomes available. This is because:
- some re-registration circumstances are more complicated than others
- customer demand is sometimes high
- we give priority to new birth registrations
If the re-registration is urgent you should discuss your requirements with the registrar when you contact us to make your appointment.
A re-registration appointment takes around 40 minutes.
When you book your re-registration appointment you need to pay a booking fee by credit or debit card. This will be refunded in full after the re-registration appointment subject to terms and conditions.
At the appointment, you will need to hand in all your old certificates and buy new ones. New certificates cost a fee. The booking fee you have already paid can cover the cost of any certificates issued on the day of your appointment. We will then refund what's left of the booking fee.
Birth re-registration appointment terms and conditions
A booking fee is payable to secure an appointment to re-register a birth. This will be refunded in full at the time of the appointment subject to the following exceptions:
- the parent or parents arrive late for the appointment
- the parent or parents fail to attend the appointment
- the parent or parents fail to bring the correct documents required, including a valid fully completed application form
- in the case of a joint re-registration, the parents arrive separately and at different times
- there are errors or corrections in the birth certificate that the registrar has not been made aware of prior to the booking
- the registrar cannot proceed with the re-registration because the matter must be referred to the Registrar General for authorisation
- the parent or parents do not bring the same credit or debit card used to pay the booking fee
Rescheduling or cancelling an appointment
A notice period of two full working days must be given to:
- rearrange an appointment
- cancel an appointment with a view to receiving a refund
Once you have paid a booking fee, you thereby accept these terms and conditions.