Council Tax Support

You may get Council Tax Support if you:

You can use an independent, free and anonymous benefits calculator to check what you could be entitled to.

If you arrived in the UK within the last 5 years and wish to claim benefit, you will need to prove your right to stay in this country. We will ask you to provide extra information so that a decision can be made.

Before you apply for Council Tax Support, find out more about discounts, disregards and exemptions on our Council Tax discounts page. If you then think you may be eligible for a discount or disregard, complete the relevant forms first before you apply for Council Tax Support.

When you apply, you may need to provide evidence of your identity, income, savings and other capital.

Make a claim for Council Tax Support

If you already receive Council Tax Support but are having severe difficulty paying your Council Tax, you can apply for a Council Tax hardship payment.

If you’re of working age, you will need to pay a minimum of 24.5% towards your Council Tax.

If you are receiving Universal Credit and working, your Council Tax Support will be based on a banded scheme which considers the number of people in your household and your net income.

You will not have to pay this amount if you get:

You will also not have to pay this amount if you are:

For more information on Council Tax Support, refer to the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (PDF, 488.82 KB) or the Council Tax Reduction Scheme summary (PDF, 143.99 KB).

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up