Building control applications

You need to make a building control application if you intend to make changes to an existing building (such as an extension to a house) or to build a new building. An application requires a fee.

Building control is different to planning permission and you might need both for your project. There are 2 main types of building control application: full plan and building notice. There are also regularisation and partnership applications. Descriptions of each application type are provided in the table below.

You may be fined, prosecuted or required pay to get work re-done if non-compliant work is discovered or if you carry out works without seeking approval.

Full plans Used for most development. We will issue an approval notice for works to begin if the plans comply with the building regulations. Apply online
Building notice Used when work is not significant enough to need a full plan. This is only acceptable for works to single family dwelling houses and domestic extensions not within 3m of a Thames Water sewer. Structural calculations may be needed for certain works. You will be able to start works after 48 hours if all the correct information and fees have been received. Apply online
Regularisation Used if works have begun without approval. This will retrospectively approve building works started without consent. You may need to lay open the works and make alterations to the building work to comply with the building regulations. Apply online
Partnership Used by architects registered with the London Borough of Enfield under the LABC Partnership scheme for works outside the Enfield area. Apply online
Reversion Used if an approved inspector is no longer able to continue with an initial notice. Apply (PDF, 205.47 KB)

Building control fees

You can view a full list of all building control application charges (PDF, 275.42 KB).

Works costing more than £200,000 are not covered by our standard charges scheme. This charge depends on factors such as the scope of the works specified, floor area, estimated building cost and duration of work on site. View the quotation request form for work over £200,000 (PDF, 37.4 KB).

Make a building control payment

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up