Odours and smoke nuisance

You can report odours or bad smells from a residential or commercial property. If you think the problem is a smoke nuisance, we will investigate it in all cases.

For residential properties, we can only deal with smells considered a smoke nuisance such as smoking in communal areas, bonfires and barbecue. We cannot deal with cooking smells or smoking on a private property.

We will investigate all odour complaints from commercial properties.

After you report the problem, we will visit you and investigate where the smell or smoke is coming from and notify the person responsible. Most problems can be solved informally. If the smell continues, we can serve an abatement notice and then prosecute if there is still no improvement.

Report an odour or smoke nuisance

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up