Libraries can help dementia sufferers and their carers in several ways:
- Home Library Service - if you have difficulty getting to a library, we can deliver books to your door. This includes books on CD.
- Local Studies Library and Archive - based in the Dugdale Centre and offering a range of material including books, photographs and newspapers. An ideal resource for reminiscence material.
- Online Library Catalogue - browse, renew and reserve items online.
- E-books and e-audiobooks - we offer a wide selection of e-books and e-audiobooks. The e-books can be adjusted to reader tastes, for instance by enlarging fonts.
- Help with getting online and completing forms online - libraries give free hour-long one-to-one supported sessions to help with computer skills. They can also provide support with completing online forms such as Blue Badge and Freedom Pass. Drop in and ask at any library.
Books on dementia
We stock a large number of books on dementia for both sufferers and carers. Below are a few examples. See our online catalogue for more titles or ask at your nearest library.
- Dementia essentials: how to guide a loved one through Alzheimer's or dementia and provide the best care, Jan Hall, 2013
- Alzheimer's activities that stimulate the mind, Emilia C. Bazan-Salazar, 2005
- I'm still here: creating a better life for a loved one living with Alzheimer's, John Zeisel, 2011
- When someone you love has dementia, Susan Elliot-Wright, 2010
We have many e-books on dementia which can be accessed using Overdrive, our e-book and audiobook service. Ask a member of staff if you need help with using Overdrive.
- Coping with Early Onset Dementia, Jill Eckersley, 2012
- Take Care, Son: The Story of My Dad and his Dementia, Tony Husband, 2010
- My Bonnie : How dementia stole the love of my life, John Suchet, 2010
As part of the Books on Prescription initiative, the Reading Agency has put together a collection of books on dementia which you can find in the following libraries:
Here is a collection of websites for national and local help with issues related to dementia:
- Age UK
- Alzheimer’s Disease International (early symptoms)
- Alzheimer’s Society
- Dementia UK
- Enfield Carers Centre
- East Asian Welfare Association
- Enfield Dementia Action Alliance
For more help and advice about dementia, including if you're worried someone might have it, see living with a long term medical condition page.