Information for tenants

Tenants in the private rented sector have certain rights and responsibilities. It is important you are aware of these before signing a tenancy agreement.

You are entitled to:

For more information on what you can expect as a tenant and from your landlord, visit GOV.UK.

Private rented property licensing provides clear guidance for landlords on property and management standards. It allows us to tackle poor housing conditions and antisocial behaviour that is sometimes associated with private renting.

If you’re concerned about the condition of the property you live in or want to report an issue with a neighbouring private rented property, you can report this confidentially to us. This will help us improve the borough for everyone and hold landlords to account. We will only contact you if you provide your contact details and confirm that you’re happy for us to do so.

You can tell us about issues with a privately rented property, such as:

If you think a private rented property does not have a licence, you should check the online register before reporting.

Report a problem with a privately rented property

The Greater London Authority (GLA) reporting tool allows tenants to report a rogue landlord or agent in the London borough they live in. You can also use the rogue landlord and agent checker to check a landlord or agent before you sign a rental agreement.

For more information on renting privately in Enfield, see how to find a property to rent.

If you're threatened with homelessness, see what to do if your landlord asks you to leave.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up