Air quality

We monitor, review and assess air quality in Enfield for pollutants known to damage health. View our latest Air Quality Status Report (PDF, 1021.9 KB).

We have 4 monitoring stations, and the data collected is available at the London Air Quality Network. We also have 2 Breathe London Sensors at Rumi Mosque and North Middlesex Hospital. To view the data, visit Breathe London.

We are committed to meeting the government's set objectives on 7 pollutants:

Enfield has areas that exceed government objectives for nitrogen dioxide and PM10 at busy roadside locations. As a result, we have declared the entire borough an air quality management area and are working towards meeting the government objectives. You can find full details on how we are doing this in our Air Quality Action Plan (PDF, 2140.81 KB). We submit annual reports on our progress to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and Greater London Authority.

The whole of the borough of Enfield is a smoke control area. You can only burn smokeless fuel in fireplaces, unless you have an exempt appliance, such as a stove or burner. For more information see our guide to open fires and wood-burning stoves (PDF, 240.32 KB).

Domestic bonfires are not controlled by the smoke control area and are a source of air pollution. Although a bonfire can be seen as a convenient way of getting rid of a large amount of waste, the burning of garden waste produces smoke, especially if it is damp and smouldering. This smoke contains pollutants, including carbon monoxide, dioxins and particles. The most environmentally friendly way of disposing of garden waste is to compost it, use the council’s garden waste collection service or take the waste to Barrowell Green Recycling Centre.

We are a member of Vehicle Idling Action, a London-wide behaviour helping to reduce localised air pollution caused by motorists leaving their engines running when parked. This will improve air quality throughout the capital. For more information, visit Idling Action London.

Emissions from industrial processes

We also regulate emissions from industrial processes that use organic solvent, involve combustion, handle dusty material or store petrol.

Businesses must email planning.enforcement@enfield.gov.uk to apply for a permit for these activities or to report excessive emissions from a business. We will investigate reports as soon as possible and take action if needed.

Contaminated land

We inspect contaminated land in the borough, but will not take action unless it presents a significant risk to the community or the water supply.

We maintain a register of contaminated land in Enfield and provide this information to potential property buyers, normally through a solicitor, for a fee of £183.90. Email planning.enforcement@enfield.gov.uk to request a search of our contaminated land records.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up