High hedges on residential properties

If your neighbour's evergreen hedge is too tall, it may 'detract from the reasonable enjoyment of your home or garden', such as obstructing light or views.

The problem may be easily settled by trying to solve the issue or reach a compromise with your neighbour first. For more information on how to resolve neighbour disputes refer to GOV.UK. As a last resort you can lodge a complaint with us and you will need to provide evidence that you tried to solve the issue otherwise your complaint may be rejected.

If the property affected is a residential property and you are the owner or occupier, then Under Part 8 of the Antisocial Behaviour Act 2003, you can complain about your neighbour's evergreen hedge to us, but we will not act to mediate or negotiate on your behalf.

To justify your complaint the hedge must be:

You must be the owner or occupier/tenant of the property affected by the hedge and the property must be residential.

How to lodge a complaint

Guidance about this process is available in Over the garden hedge and High hedges: complaining to the council. You should read this before lodging a complaint.

If you would like us to take formal action, complete the application form by clicking on the red button below and paying the fee.

High hedge complaint form (PDF, 429.23 KB)

There is no prescribed time limit for local authorities to make a decision on high hedge complaints. However, we aim to investigate and provide feedback to a complainant within 3 months of the complaint being registered.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up