In-year admissions (moving school during the year)

Important information

Enfield School Admission Service are currently receiving a high volume of applications. Staff will be dealing with these as quickly as possible.

Information about waiting lists

We are currently updating school waiting lists. Letters together with a form have been sent to all parents where children were on a waiting list. We have asked for the forms to be returned to us by 18 August 2023.

We will not be able to provide updated waiting list positions until 29 August at the earliest.

New in-year applications

Parents can make in-year applications throughout the summer and we will acknowledge receipt of them. In many cases, places can only be determined when schools reopen and staff are able to tell us about places they have to offer.

As soon as we have an outcome for an application, we will write to parents.

What is an in-year admission?

An in-year admission is when you need to make an application to a school outside of the normal admissions round, at a time when your child should already be attending school.

Normal admission rounds are for primary reception when starting statutory schooling (4 years old) for the first time, and for primary to secondary transfer (children currently in year 6).

You would normally be making an in-year application if you recently moved, arrived from another country, or want to transfer your child to another school. If your child is already in school and you're considering transferring them to another school, you will need to be aware that places are already allocated and availability is limited.

This is particularly important if your child is in year 6 of primary school, or in year 10/11 of secondary school, when a move at this stage of their education is highly discouraged and should only be considered in exceptional circumstances.

Submitting an in-year application

In-year applications should only be submitted if you need a school place as soon as possible. If you need a school place for September, you should apply after mid-June.

To submit an in-year application, you can follow these steps:

The relevant application forms and guidance are available to download below:

Schools that you should apply to directly

There are some Enfield schools that parents need to apply to directly, rather than through the local authority. These schools are listed below.

Ark John Keats Academy
Website - Ark John Keats Academy
Email -

Heron Hall Academy
Website - Heron Hall Academy
Email -

One Degree Academy
Website - One Degree Academy
Email -

Each of these schools give details about how to apply and the relevant forms on their own website.

After submitting your application, you will get a response in writing from the school within 15 school days.

If they cannot offer your child a place, they will let you know the reasons why and tell you about your right to appeal. Information about how to appeal will also be on each school’s website. You cannot submit an appeal until you have been told the outcome of your application.

If you have any questions about in-year admissions to these schools, you can contact the schools directly.

School applications for foreign national children and children resident outside England

The government has recently updated their guidance about the admission of foreign national children and children resident outside England.

The government has clarified that it is the responsibility of parents to check that their children have a right under their UK entry conditions to study at a school before applying for a place. State funded schools and local authorities are not expected to ask for proof of eligibility before offering a place.

Applications for school places can be made through the usual admissions process. You can find information about how to do this on this website.

Families arriving from Ukraine may find it helpful to read this information from the UK Government - How do families arriving from Ukraine apply for a school place and childcare? / Як родинам, що приїжджають з України, подавати заяви на отримання місць у школі та допомоги з оплати послуг з догляду за дитиною?

When you have made your application, we will aim to let you know the outcome in writing within 15 school days. If it is not possible to offer a place at a school you have requested, you will be advised of where an offer can be made.

Requesting medical priority

If you would like your child's application to be considered under the medical criterion, see our medical priority guidance.

Please note that not all schools have this as part of their admission arrangements.

Free school meals

To check if you are eligible for free school meals, see our school meals page.

You can search for primary, secondary and special needs schools in Enfield and across England by visiting GOV.UK. Here you can access Ofsted reports, information on school performance and approximate home to school distances. These are only a guide as we use our own specialist systems to measure distances when allocating places in Enfield.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up