Independent living

Independent living is when you live in your own home, by yourself or with others. This gives you all the care and support you need to live as independently as possible. If you are eligible for adult social care, we will work with you to make sure you have a safe, appropriate accommodation and a package of care that meets your needs, and where possible is in your local community, giving you access to your family and friends.

The different options to help you live more independently are described below:

Supported living

This means you will be given the help and support you need to enable you to live independently. For example you could live in a flat on your own or share with others and have 24-hour care, or you could live in a flat and just get some help and support with things like paying your bills and cooking a meal.

Assured tenancy

An assured tenancy means you have housing rights and this provides you with more security. We will always try as a first option to ensure that any accommodation package includes an assured tenancy.

Adult Placement Scheme (APS)

The Adult Placement Scheme places young people leaving home or leaving care who wish to be settled within a family environment. These are usually homeowners who have a room to spare and it is seen as a stepping stone to leaving home and living independently. The APS is designed to meet the needs of young and old people and can consist of a carer who is single, married couple, two partners etc.

Social housing

If you would like to access social housing you need to put your name on the housing register. There are criteria and you have to be awarded enough points to be able to bid for a suitable property. Your name should firstly be brought before the Accommodation Board to decide if there are any opportunities within local supported living placements.

Private rental

Although private rental is an option it is not always the best option as it is not always possible to get an 'assured tenancy' and you do not always have long-term housing rights.

Shared ownership

There are some limited opportunities for shared ownership which can be explored. This is where a person part owns a property and has a mortgage.

Vincent House

Vincent House gives young people aged 19 to 25 the opportunity to experience living independently and find out if it’s something they want. There are twenty one-bedroom flats, and ten studio flats. There is concierge, and support workers are on site on an 'as required' basis. During your time a Vincent House you will be supported to understand the tenancy agreement and given help with daily living tasks. The tenancy is for two years, during which time you will have regular reviews.

To find out if you will be able to live at Vincent House you will need to undergo an occupational therapy assessment.

Accommodation Board

All requests for supported living are reviewed by the Accommodation Board. The Board co-ordinates all housing applications and meets every four to six weeks. It looks at the needs and interests of those wishing to live independently and helps to find the best option by creating bespoke packages to meet the needs of young people.

Young people

For all young people who are supported to live independently it is important to ensure that their emotional well-being is considered so they do not experience loneliness, isolation or mental health issues. We will support young people to have social networks and friendships to help them to be emotionally well and part of their community.

We provide a disabled facilities grant for young people with special educational needs or disabilities to make changes to your home so you can carry on living independently for as long as possible.

To find out more, contact your social worker or care coordinator, email or phone them on 020 8379 5039 (textphone: 020 8379 3100). You can also apply through our at risk of homelessness and need help page. If you need help to fill this in, ask at any of our centres or libraries.