The Enfield Educational Psychology Service (EPS) is the main provider of psychological services to Enfield schools and early years settings. They have direct links to services in education, health and social care, which promotes a coordinated approach.

What is an educational psychologist?

An educational psychologist is a trained applied psychologist who has a psychology degree, as well as a masters or doctorate training in educational psychology.

Through their specialist knowledge, an educational psychologist can improve the life chances and educational achievement of children and young people.

They work with the adults who know the child or young person well to understand their strengths and areas of need. They can also carry out psychological work with the child or young person. By working together, the educational psychologist will help plan the next steps to support a child’s emotional wellbeing and learning.

View what is an Educational Psychologist? (PDF, 199.11 KB).

How can an educational psychologist help?

Educational psychologists can help children and young people through a range of work, including:

They also work with people across many levels, including:

EPS telephone support

Enfield EPS has a telephone support line for any parent or carer of a child living in Enfield or attending a school in Enfield. This is a confidential space for parents and carers to talk about any concerns they have for their child’s wellbeing, learning or behaviour. Signposting information is also provided.

When will educational psychologists become involved with a child or young person?

Children, young people and their families can get support from an Enfield educational psychologist when any one of the following apply:

What to expect when an Educational Psychologist becomes involved with your child at school (PDF, 109.86 KB).

How are parents and carers involved?

Educational psychologists are committed to involving parents and carers, and children and young people, in all decision making. They work collaboratively and recognise that parents, carers, and education staff will know the child best.

A written summary report is given when any direct work is carried out by an educational psychologist. If educational psychologists are joining a school review meeting, the school will usually provide the written record or the updated Individual Education Plan or Learning Support Plan.

An educational psychologist will always get consent from the parent or carer and from the young person if over the age of 16.

Speak to your school or education setting first

If you have concerns about a child or young person’s learning, wellbeing, or mental health, you should speak to their school or educational setting. Educational settings can usually meet the needs of most children or young people.

The educational setting may set up a Learning Support Plan or an Individual Education Plan with you. The plan will include areas to improve on, possible outcomes and support that will help in school and at home. You will meet with the school to review the plan and the progress your child is making.

During this process, the school or educational setting may want to involve the educational psychologist for further thinking and support. Schools purchase this service and prioritise in line with the needs of children in their school.

Contact the Educational Psychology Service

You can contact Enfield Educational Psychology Service by calling 020 8379 2000, or by email at

You can also find out more by visiting Enfield Schools Traded Services Hub or follow them on Twitter @ENFIELDEPS.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up