Travel assistance and help with travel costs is available to families of children with special educational needs or disability.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) mobility component

If your child is eligible for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) mobility component, the amount they will get depends on the level of help they need getting about. For example:

There are also age limits to receiving the mobility component:

If the child you care for is under these ages and you claim DLA for them, you should be sent a claim pack six months before they turn three, and six months before they turn five. You can then apply for the mobility component if you think they’re eligible for it.

If you have not received any claim packs and you think the child you care for may be entitled to the mobility component, contact the Disability Service Centre.



Motability can be used by exchanging your qualifying mobility allowance to lease a new affordable car, wheelchair accessible vehicle, scooter or powered wheelchair.

For more information, visit Motability Scheme.

Family Fund Mobility Support

Family Fund Mobility Support is a pilot scheme providing a discretionary grant to lease a car for a limited time. The grant, provided by Family Fund and Motability, is aimed at helping people raising a disabled or seriously ill child under three meet their mobility needs.

More information can be found at Family Fund Mobility Support.

Blue Badges

Blue parking badges can help disabled people park closer to their destination and without buying a ticket.

More information and criteria can be found at Disabled person's parking permit (Blue Badge).

Congestion Charge exemption

If you have a valid Blue Badge, you're eligible to register for a 100% congestion charge discount, even if you don't own a vehicle or drive.

You can register up to two vehicles that you would normally use to travel within the Congestion Charge zone. This could be your own vehicle, or one that you and child you care for travels in.

Find out more at TFL – discounts and exemptions.

Healthcare travel costs scheme

If the child you care for is referred to hospital or other NHS premises for specialist NHS treatment or diagnostic tests by a doctor, dentist or another primary care health professional, you may be able to claim a refund of reasonable travel costs under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS).