Pay a storing fireworks and explosives licence fee
If you want to store up to 5kg of explosive material for retail purposes, you need a licence. Businesses that already hold licences or registrations automatically receive a renewal application form by the end of August each year.
All business are subject to an inspection when they have fireworks in store. New applicants also require a pre-registration inspection.
Businesses that are licensed in this way are permitted to supply fireworks:
- from 15 October to 10 November
- a few days around New Year, Chinese New Year or Diwali
Businesses that wish to sell fireworks to the public outside these periods should apply for an all-year-round licence.
It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities and to sell fireworks to people under 18.
Apply for a storing fireworks and explosives licence (PDF, 58.56 KB)
If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.
For more information see:
- our fees page for the relevant fee
- our online Licence Register where all applications and licences are recorded
- GOV.UK for the rules about storing fireworks