Sex establishment licence

Pay a sex establishment licence fee

You may need a licence for a sex establishment, including:

  • a sex cinema or any venue where explicit films are shown to the public
  • a sex shop, which includes any premises
  • a sexual entertainment venue (SEV)

It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities and, if convicted, you could be given a £20,000 fine.

You can use our application form to apply for a new licence or to renew, transfer or make a variation to an existing licence.

Apply for a licence (PDF, 184.57 KB)

Licence applications should be emailed to

If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

For more information visit:

  • our fees page for the relevant fee
  • our online Licence Register where all applications and licences are recorded
  • GOV.UK for the rules about sex establishments

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up