You need a licence to:
- run a scrap metal dealership or scrapyard
- recover parts from motor vehicles for re-use or sale
- buy written-off vehicles to repair and resell them
- collect scrap metal to sell to a scrap metal business
You can use our application forms to apply for a new licence or make a variation to an existing licence.
It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities and, if convicted, you could be given a £5,000 fine.
From 4 April 2022, the government is putting in place new tax requirements for new applications and renewals for scrap metal site and collector licences. Licence holders need to provide the Licensing Team with the tax code provided by HMRC following completion of the tax check. Licences cannot be issued or renewed until this tax code has been given and authorised.
Apply for a new licence or renewal (PDF, 250.53 KB)
Apply for a variation on an existing licence (PDF, 129.79 KB)
If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.
For more information visit:
- our fees page for the relevant fee
- our online Licence Register where all applications and licences are recorded
- GOV.UK - Scrap Metal Dealers Act for the rules about scrap metal licences
- GOV.UK - tax check information for licence holders and the new requirements from 4 April 2022