Child performance licence

To take part in performances, babies and children in Enfield must be licensed by us, until they are no longer of compulsory school age. Performances include:

A child does not need a licence if:

If a child is exempt from a licence, certain conditions and restrictions will still apply to the performance. For more information, see the Children Performances and Activities Regulations 2014 (PDF, 309.97 KB).

The person responsible for the performance production should apply for the licence. They must be the organiser of the event or activity, or the person wishing to hire the child as a model. This can be a corporation if an appointed person signs the application. They are then legally responsible for the child and ensuring the acts and regulations are complied with.

The applicant cannot be the proprietor of a drama or dance school, or someone (such as an agent), who provides children for a production but does not present the production. We require a minimum of 10 working days for licence applications to be processed.

When considering an application we make sure that:

Part 1 of the application should be completed by the licence applicant, and part 2 must be completed by the parent or guardian of the child. The parent or guardian should also submit:

A school letter advising absence from school will be authorised by the head teacher.

It is a criminal offence to employ a child without registering, or to breach any regulations regarding the employment of children. We will take legal action against anyone committing such offences.

For more information see:

Apply for a licence (PDF, 393.52 KB)

Licence applications should be emailed to

If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up