Business rates relief

Some properties are eligible for business rates relief, depending on the type of business and how the property will be used.

To find out if you are eligible, email

Small business rate relief

You can get small business rate relief if you:

If you don't mention all the properties your business uses in your original application, your relief will be removed and you will need to re-apply.

If you use a property outside of Enfield and the rateable value increases, you must tell us within four weeks, or you may no longer receive rate relief. It is a criminal offence to give incorrect information.

Apply for small business rate relief (PDF)

Business rates retail, hospitality and leisure relief

Business rates retail, hospitality and leisure relief applies to eligible occupied properties from 1 April 2022. The relief will be 50% of your bill after other reliefs have been applied and will end on 31 March 2023.

There is no rateable value limit that applies to the 2022/23 scheme.

If you are already getting expanded retail discount for 2021/22, the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure relief will be awarded automatically on your annual bill, unless, as in accordance with guidance, we believe that your business would reasonably be expected to exceed the £110,000 cap or is now an excluded type of business.

For more information and to find out if your business is eligible, visit the government guidance on 2022/23 Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Relief Scheme: local authority guidance.

If you do not think you will be eligible for the 50% discount, you can choose to opt out from 1 April 2022 by emailing us at

Empty property exemptions

You will be exempt from paying business rates on empty property for the three months after a property becomes vacant. In addition to this:

After the exemption period ends the full rates become due and payable.

Relief for charitable organisations

Charities, or trustees of a charity, may be entitled to apply for an 80% reduction in their business rates. The reduction depends on the property being occupied either wholly or mainly for the charity's purposes. To qualify the organisation will normally need to be registered as a charity with the Charity Commission or comply with the objectives of a charitable organisation.

Other types of organisations that may qualify are:

Community Amateur Sports Clubs that are registered with the Inland Revenue as a (CASC) are entitled to apply for an 80% reduction in their business rates.

Discretionary rate relief

If your organisation is not a charity but is another type of non-profit making organisation, you can apply for discretionary rate relief provided you meet the council’s criteria. Your organisation must be charitable, religious, or concerned with education, social welfare, science, literature or the fine arts. Or the property must be used by a non-profit-making organisation.

To apply for charitable rate relief, email