Registering buildings or licensing venues for marriages

We may approve a place of worship or venue to become a place where marriages or civil partnerships can take place. If the building meets our approval, we will grant a license to the minister, proprietor or trustee of the place of worship or venue.

For a place of worship, this license will last for as long as the place of worship exists. A license for a venue such as a hotel lasts for three years.

We will carry out an inspection of the proposed premises to judge its suitability for civil ceremonies. The licensing team will then process the application once our approval has been given.

To determine if the proposed venue is suitable for a marriage or civil partnership, or for general advice, contact us.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up