Changing a child’s name

If you’ve changed your mind about the forename of your child, who was born in the London Borough of Enfield, you can apply for a name change within 12 months of registering their birth.

You can change any aspect of their forenames, including adding middle names, removing names, or changing the spelling, but the surname can’t be changed.

If you want to change the name of a child over 12 months old, change their surname, or have no documentary evidence to show the child’s correct name, see changing your name by deed poll.

Applying for an amendment

To apply for an amendment, follow the steps below:

  1. Complete the changing a child's name application form (PDF, 22.88 KB) in pen with a wet signature. For help to complete the form, read our guidance notes (PDF, 69.96 KB)
  2. Complete the copy certificate application form (PDF, 37.78 KB) to order new certificates
  3. Post both application forms and the original birth certificates to:
    Enfield Register Office
    1 Gentleman's Row
    EN2 6PT

You may want to use recorded or special delivery.


The cost to change a child’s registered name is £40. New certificates cost £11 each.

Please enclose a cheque or postal order made payable to ‘London Borough of Enfield’ for the correct amount. If you prefer to pay by card, make sure you include your phone number on the application and the genealogist will call you to take the payment over the phone.

Receiving your new certificates

The process takes approximately 2 weeks. We will either post the new certificates to you, or we can arrange for you to collect them from the office.

When you receive your updated certificates, the new name will appear in space 17 at the bottom of the page ‘name given after registration’.

You should update your child’s details with anyone who holds their records, such as the GP, Child Benefits or banks.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up