Appealing a Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support decision

To appeal your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support decision, you must check the information we used to calculate the amount we will pay you.

If you think this is incorrect, you can request a review of our decision and tell us why you think this is wrong by emailing

If we do not change our decision, you can appeal. For more information, refer to GOV.UK - appeal a benefit decision.

If you’re a private tenant, your Housing Benefit is based on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA). You cannot appeal against the LHA rates.


If you disagree with an overpayment decision, you can request a review by emailing

Your request must be made within one month of receiving the decision letter and should say why you think the decision is wrong.

Council news directly to you

The latest news in your inbox every week. Council news, community updates, local events and more.

Sign up Sign up