The Council Tax Regulations and Local Government Finance Act 1992 and the Non-domestic rating Regulations 1989 allow for local authorities to collect and administer Council Tax and Business Rates.
The information we collect and process for this purpose includes:
- Your name, address, email address and phone number for Council Tax liability
- The start date of residency
- The date you left your previous address
- If you are a tenant or the owner of the property
- If you are the owner of more than one address
- Your household make up for Council Tax liability to accurately apply discounts, exemptions and disregards
- Banking and payment details
- Your property attracting Council Tax or Business Rate liability
- Your business name and mailing address
We also collect the following information for the purposes of debt collection:
- Your household income and expenditure
- Your National Insurance number
- Your capital and assets held
- Your employment details
We have a duty to protect the public funds we administer and may use information held about you for all lawful purposes, including the prevention and detection of fraud. The Council may also share this information with law enforcement agencies and other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.
Your data will be kept for at least seven years as required by law and is not generally removed unless you are no longer resident in the borough.