Extra help with rent and Council Tax

If you receive Housing Benefit, Universal Credit housing costs or Council Tax Support and still have difficulty paying your rent or Council Tax, you may get a Council Tax Support Hardship payment or a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

If you make a claim for a DHP you will also be considered for a Council Tax Hardship payment. To get help with your Council Tax only you should complete the Council Tax Hardship application.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

You can apply for a DHP if you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs and think that you need extra help paying your rent.

Before applying, you should tell us or the Jobcentre about your current situation to receive the correct payments. The DHP Fund is limited so we will look at your income and expenses to make a decision.

You may need to give evidence of:

If you receive Universal Credit you must also provide the following:

You should answer all the questions and give your contact details so we can get in touch if we have any queries.

If your claim is successful, we will send you a letter with details of the payment.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment

View our Discretionary Housing Payments Policy (PDF, 227.38 KB).

Disagreeing with your Discretionary Housing Payment decision

If you disagree with our decision, you can request a review of our decision by emailing revs@enfield.gov.uk. Your request must be made within one month of receiving the decision letter.

We are offering a discretionary scheme which makes our review decision final with no right of appeal.

Council Tax Support Hardship Scheme

You can apply for a Council Tax Hardship payment if you get Council Tax Support and have severe difficulty paying your Council Tax.

You are eligible if you are:

We will use the information given in your Council Tax Support claim to make a decision.

You should only apply if you are asking for help with your Council Tax. Before applying you should check if you are entitled to a Council Tax discount.

Apply for a Council Tax hardship payment

Emergency support

We don’t offer claims for emergency payments but you may be able to get extra help with some services.

If you are known to Social Services and are struggling with your finances, ask them about what support may be available.

If you are in contact with the Housing Service, ask the team or your landlord about any help they may be able to give you.

If you are in financial hardship you can check whether you can find support on our financial hardship page.

If you don’t have a social worker but need help with food, you may be able to get food vouchers from: