London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

Building control

View pages in this section

Electrical safety in residential properties

From 1 January 2005, all electrical work in residential properties need to:

  • Comply with building regulation Part P requirements; and
  • Be carried out by people who are competent to do the work.

If you have work that involves adding a new circuit to a residence or electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms or in 'special locations', you need to either:

1. Have the work done by someone registered with a Part P Self-Certification Scheme (Competent Persons Scheme)

If an electrician who is a member of one of these schemes carries out the electrical work, a building regulation application is not required for the work.


2. Submit a Building Regulation application
If you want to submit a Building Regulation application, you have two options:

  • A qualified and registered electrician carries out or inspects the work. He can issue a design, installation and test certificate under BS7671.
  • Building Control carries out or inspects the work.  When an unregistered electrician does electrical work, or the work is a Do-It-Yourself installation, Building Control needs to inspect and test the work to ensure it complies with Part P.

If you need electrical work done at your residence, we strongly recommend that you hire an electrician who is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme.

Seems like there is only one scheme (the Part P scheme). But here, it states there is more than one scheme. There is a Part P scheme. One way to show compliance is to use an electrician who is registered under a competent persons scheme.

This page was last updated on 11-Oct-2013.

What do you think of this page?
Why tell us?