London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

Help for low income homes this winter

Published Wednesday, 11 December 2013

With arctic weather forecast for this weekend and heating bills on the increase, Enfield Council is reminding low income residents struggling to pay their heating, food and Council Tax bills that they may be eligible for help through the borough’s Council Tax Hardship Scheme.


Homeowners or tenants, working age or pensioners, employed or out of work people can apply for the hardship scheme but they must already qualify for partial Council Tax Support from Enfield Council and have some Council Tax liability.   Applicants will need to provide details of their income and expenditure so that the council can determine if they are in exceptional hardship.  If successful their Council Tax account will be credited, no cash alternatives are available.

Cllr Andrew Stafford, Cabinet Member for Finance and Property said: “We recognise that some low income households will really struggle this winter and this scheme is designed to help those facing exceptional hardship.

“The scheme was set up in April 2013 in recognition of the extreme difficulty some households would face in paying Council Tax following the government’s decision to abolish Council Tax Benefit and the subsequent reduction in grant to councils to implement local support schemes. 

“Enfield faced a funding shortfall of £5m and took the decision to set a maximum threshold of 80.5% support for working age households.

“I would urge low income households, whether working age or pensioner, working or unemployed to investigate whether the hardship scheme can help them this winter.”

For more information on the Council Tax Hardship Scheme and to apply online, go to: Counciltax

For households on out of work benefits who face severe financial emergencies this winter, the Council’s Emergency Support Scheme may also be able to help. 

The scheme can provide food vouchers, one off expenditure for essential items or help with reconnection charges to utilities.

Go to Emergencysupport for more information.

More articles in the news archive.