London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

Storm warning

Published Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Storms may have left residents with domestic repairs, but Enfield Council is warning people against going for a quick fix from unexpected cold callers.

Residents who need repairs are advised to visit the Enfield Council website instead and search “Responsible contractor” to find a list of businesses who have agreed to deal fairly with consumers and who have some checks carried out by Trading Standards.

Enfield Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment, Cllr Chris Bond, said: “It’s bad enough that residents may have suffered storm damage to their homes, but they will be worse off if they get conned on their own doorstep by someone offering to “fix” their house for them.

“We strongly advise residents to check and double check the credentials of anyone who they ask to carry out repairs on their house and we’d advise that they go reputable traders instead. If anyone knocks on your door offering to carry out repairs we’d strongly advise you to turn them away and ring Trading Standards.”

Advice for residents

Beware of rogue traders

If you are approached by any person offering to carry our repairs to your property turn them away.

Call Consumer Advice 08454 040506 who will refer the matter to Enfield Trading Standards who will contact you.

If you are suspicious or feel threatened call the police.

Dealing with Doorstep callers – Don’t be deceived at the door

How do uninvited doorstep sellers operate?

•             Usually they “cold call” i.e. knock at your door without invitation.
•             Persuade the resident to have work done that is not necessary – typically, to the roof, driveways, gutters and fascias or general garden work.
•             Often they will say they are only working in the area for the day
•             They may say they want more money giving you poor reasons as to why they want the extra money.
•             Will not give you a “cooling off” period which you are legally entitled to
•             Will not give you written notice detailing your right to cancel the contract.

Don’t rush to part with your money. You should always use a reputable trader and get three quotes for the work.

Remember say “no thank you” and close the door
If the trader refuses to leave when asked, call the Police.

More articles in the news archive.