London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

Gang member has injunction extended

Published Tuesday, 07 August 2012

A teenager from Edmonton who became the first person in the UK to be jailed for breaching a gang injunction has had the original order extended.

Dylan Martin was 19 when he was sentenced to 14 months in prison for seven breaches of his gang injunction in February.

But Enfield Council and the Metropolitan Police argued at Wood Green Crown Court on 26 July that the original gang injunction should be extended to act as a deterrent for poor behaviour when he leaves prison and the court lengthened the order to last until 5 May 2013.

Enfield Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Wellbeing and Public Health, Cllr Christine Hamilton, said: “This is great news for the community as Dylan Martin thought he could harass and terrorise them.  It sends out a message that we're not going to let individuals like him flout the law.

"We are determined to tackle gang related crime and show our communities that their safety and peace of mind is our overriding priority.

"We'd rather work with people and help them change their lifestyles, but if they refuse to work with us our message to criminals and thugs is that we'll find a way of stopping your illegal behaviour and if that means sending you to prison, so be it."

Superintendent Paul Healy, Partnerships, Enfield Police: "This case demonstrates the seriousness the court take when individual breach their orders, given the length of the sentence imposed. This should serve as a deterrent to those who currently  have an injunction  imposed  on them or individuals  who are engaging in activity that will subject them to such an order.

"We will not tolerate the bad behaviour of a few who impact  on the quality of life of the greater community by working with our partners to utilise  and enforce legislation available to us. "

Martin was accused of twice breaching his Gang Injunction and was recalled to court to face allegations of further breaches.

West London County Court heard on 28 July 2011 that Dylan Martin, from Edmonton had breached the order seven times in four months, mainly for congregating with known gang members, intimidating residents and entering an area of Edmonton he was banned from.

He was found guilty of all seven breaches and sentenced to 12 months imprisonment (original sentence of 14 months reduced on appeal). The sentence was suspended for two years.

But he breached the order again and was recalled to Wood Green Crown Court in February where he was jailed. 

More articles in the news archive.