London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

Housing benefits for students

Most full-time students cannot claim Housing Benefit (HB) whilst studying, including summer vacations and any periods of temporary absence.

If you are on a Training for Work Scheme and getting a training allowance, you are not classed as a student for HB purposes.

If you are a part-time student or a full-time student in one of the exempt categories below, then you may be able to get help with your rent.

Full-time students who can claim Housing Benefit:

  • Lone parents / couples who are responsible for a dependant child. This includes if you are solely responsible for a child boarded out with you by a local council or voluntary organisation.
  • People who get Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).
  • Disabled students (includes students who have a disability premium included in their applicable amount and those who have been awarded Disabled Students' Allowance because of their hearing disabilities.
  • Students aged under 21 are pursuing a course of further education (but not higher education.), as long as they enrolled on the course before they turned 19.
  • Students who took a break in their studies, with the agreement of their school or college, because of illness, or to care for someone who is ill or disabled, and that period has now ended.
  • Pensioners (if you have reached State Pension Age) - or whose partners have reached State Pension Age.

This page was last updated on 11-Feb-2014.

What do you think of this page?
Why tell us?