London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

I want to apply for council housing

View pages in this section

I want to rent from the council or a housing association

You need to know that:

  • There is a high demand for council and housing association homes in Enfield but very few become available for letting each year.
  • Only 1 or 2 people in every 10 who apply to our Housing Register succeed in getting a home. Accepted applicants are assessed as having a very high priority need.

How to apply

To make an application you will first need to complete Enfield's Online Housing Advisor.

Enfield's Online Housing Advisor will ask you a number of questions about your current housing situation before making an assessment. Based on the information you provide, it will display housing options that best suit you. One of these options may be to complete our Online Housing Assessment and Options Form.  This form helps us assess your situation whether you are homeless or are already a tenant of Enfield Council or of a housing association living in Enfield.

Enfield's Online Housing Assessment and Options Form will contain questions about:

  • you and your household,
  • any serious medical conditions you believe are affected or made worse by your current home
  • your income and expenses
  • your current housing situation/problem

After you complete Enfield's Online Housing Assessment and Options Form, you may need to provide evidence to help us assess your application for housing.  We need this information so that we can work with you to find the housing options most suitable for you.

Your housing application will be assessed according to the rules set out in Enfield's Scheme for allocating Council and housing association homes in the borough.  To find out what we take into account you can download and read a summary or full copy of Enfield's Allocations Scheme

If your circumstances show that you may fall into one of the groups of people we prioritise for council and housing association homes, we will carry out some checks. In cases where you are living with friends or family or renting privately, we will visit you at home and also talk to your landlord.

What happens if my application is accepted?

You will be:

  • Placed on our Housing Register and given an application reference number.
  • Given details about how to bid for council or housing association homes advertised on our bidding system on the Home Connections website.

Get information about 'What happens after my housing application is placed on Enfield's Housing Register?'

    If your housing application is not accepted.

    Our Online Housing Advisor will provide you with information and advice on a range of alternative housing options you can pursue/act on. These include:

    Some applicants who apply to Enfield's Housing Register may have their applications rejected after they apply. Examples of these cases are where:

    • you or your partner or any members of your household have been involved in proven anti-social behaviour or have been evicted for anti-social behaviour
    • you have been evicted due to rent arrears
    • your immigration status has changed and you no longer have recourse to public funds

    You can ask for a review (like an appeal) of how we made the decision about your application for housing. You can find out more about How to request a review of your Housing Register application.

    This page was last updated on 06-Jul-2015.