Housing and Council Tax Benefit - An Overview
Processing your claim for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support
What documents do I need to provide to go with my application?
There are many different things that we will need to see to go with your application for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. We will need to see evidence of:
National Insurance Number(s)
Private rent and tenancy
Capital, savings and investments
Benefits, Allowances or Pensions
Any other income
Any other money paid out
If you do not provide all the evidence we need, we might not be able to pay you any benefit. We need the same evidence for your partner, if you have one, and for any other adults living in your property.
If you cannot provide all the evidence straight away, send the form back to us as soon as possible and send or bring in the evidence at a later date. We can start to process your claim, but we may not be able to pay you any benefit until we have all the evidence.
Any documents supplied to support your claim must be originals; photocopies are not acceptable. If you do not wish to send original documents, you can take them to one of our Reception areas, where your documents can be verified and copied.
Council Tax and Benefits frequently asked questions together with online forms
Can I get my claim backdated?
If you have claimed Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, but would have claimed sooner if you could have, you can ask us to backdate your claim for Benefit. This means that we could treat your claim as if we received your claim form on an earlier date.
For details of how long we can backdate your claim and for more information, visit backdating section.
Pages in Housing and Council Tax Benefit - An Overview
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support - New claims
- Who can claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support?
- If you are renting from a private landlord
- Estimate your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
- How Housing Benefit is paid
- How to apply for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Benefit
- You are here: Processing your claim for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support
- Appeal against a decision
- Benefit fraud - avoiding fraudulent claims
- Help and advice with your Mortgage
- Other welfare benefits
- Discretionary Housing Payments
This page was last updated on 20-Jun-2014.