London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

Housing and Council Tax Benefit - An Overview

View pages in this section

Processing your claim for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support

What documents do I need to provide to go with my application?

There are many different things that we will need to see to go with your application for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. We will need to see evidence of:

  • National Insurance Number(s)
  • Identity
  • Private rent and tenancy
  • Student status
  • Capital, savings and investments
  • Earnings
  • Benefits, Allowances or Pensions
  • Any other income
  • Any other money paid out

If you do not provide all the evidence we need, we might not be able to pay you any benefit. We need the same evidence for your partner, if you have one, and for any other adults living in your property.

If you cannot provide all the evidence straight away, send the form back to us as soon as possible and send or bring in the evidence at a later date. We can start to process your claim, but we may not be able to pay you any benefit until we have all the evidence.

Any documents supplied to support your claim must be originals; photocopies are not acceptable. If you do not wish to send original documents, you can take them to one of our Reception areas, where your documents can be verified and copied.

Council Tax and Benefits frequently asked questions together with online forms

Can I get my claim backdated?

If you have claimed Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, but would have claimed sooner if you could have, you can ask us to backdate your claim for Benefit. This means that we could treat your claim as if we received your claim form on an earlier date.

For details of how long we can backdate your claim and for more information, visit backdating section.

This page was last updated on 20-Jun-2014.

What do you think of this page?
Why tell us?