Housing and Council Tax Benefit - An Overview
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support - New claims
Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Support (CTS) are means-tested welfare benefits. The amount you could receive is based on your income, capital, circumstances, rent and Council Tax levels. These benefits help people on low income pay their rent and Council Tax. Both benefits can be claimed on the same form.
Use our benefit/support calculator to see if you are entitled and make an online claim.
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support has recently changed and the amount that you get may be going down. For further information see our Benefit Changes pages.
The Government has replaced Council Tax Benefit with a new Local Support Scheme. Find out more about the new Council Tax Support Scheme here.
Pages in Housing and Council Tax Benefit - An Overview
- You are here: Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support - New claims
- Who can claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support?
- If you are renting from a private landlord
- Estimate your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
- How Housing Benefit is paid
- How to apply for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Benefit
- Processing your claim for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support
- Appeal against a decision
- Benefit fraud - avoiding fraudulent claims
- Help and advice with your Mortgage
- Other welfare benefits
- Discretionary Housing Payments
This page was last updated on 15-Apr-2014.