Refuse - flytipping
Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of rubbish or bulky items on a site that is not licensed to receive it.
Living in a well-kept environment is important for our physical and mental well-being.
Not only does fly-tipping make the environment unsightly, it can be dangerous for you, as the rubbish may contain items like toxic waste, asbestos or syringes. It may also attract pests such as rats and flies.
Fly-tipping is a serious criminal offence with a maximum penalty of £50,000 and/or 12 months' imprisonment when the case is heard in the Magistrates' Court or a five-year prison sentence and/or unlimited fine if the case goes to the Crown Court.
What we can do
- Investigate reports of fly-tipping, people responsible for them and where the rubbish originated from
- Remove illegal rubbish from council-owned land
- If the source of the rubbish cannot be identified, ie furniture, electrical goods etc please report this under 'dumped rubbish one off clearance'
We do not have a duty to remove rubbish from private land. This is the landowner's responsibility; we may require the landowner to remove rubbish dumped on their land.
If you discover rubbish that has been dumped illegally, or see someone doing so:
Report it to us as soon as you can so we can investigate the incident. You will need to give us details such as:
- Type of rubbish
- Details of vehicle, including registration number (if possible)
- Details and descriptions of the people who dumped the rubbish (if possible)
If you can, write this information down on a piece of paper at that time. Sign and date it, and keep it safe. This can aid our investigation.
Photographs of the rubbish and location would be very useful as evidence.
How to report
- Please supply full details of the dumped rubbish by using our online report form
What we will do
- We aim to remove illegal rubbish from a public highway within four hours of receiving your report.
- We aim to remove illegal rubbish from other council-controlled land within five days of receiving your report.
- We will update you on the status of your report within ten days of receiving it.
Pages in Refuse - flytipping
- You are here: Refuse - flytipping
- External links
This page was last updated on 30-Sep-2013.