London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

Access to information

Freedom of Information Act

The Freedom of Information Act gives you the right to ask any public body for any information they have on any subject you choose. The Act requires them to help you as far as is reasonable and unless there's a good reason, they have to provide it to you within 20 working days.

Data Protection Act

The Data Protection Act (DPA) gives you a right of access to your personal data and protects it from others.

The DPA applies to both public and private sector bodies and you can apply to any organisation for personal data they hold on you. This is known as a subject access request.

Environmental Information Regulations

Environmental Information Regulations (EIRs) allow you access to environmental information in broadly the same way that you can request other information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

Environmental information covers information on the state of the environment, such as air, water, soil, land, flora and fauna and diversity and will also include information on genetically modified organisms. In addition, information on emissions and discharges, noise, energy, radiation, waste and other such substances; measures and activities such as policies, plans and agreements; reports, cost benefit and economic analyses are included. The state of human health and safety, contamination of the food chain; cultural sites and built structures as they may be affected by environmental factors, will also be considered environmental information.

How to ask for a review

If you are dissatisfied with our response or the way the request has been dealt with, you can ask for a review. You should write to the officer who dealt with your request and ask them for an internal review to be carried out. The review will be carried out by a senior manager within the Council, who willl advise you directly of the outcome of your review. If you are still dissatisfied, you may ask the Information Commissioner's Office to consider your complaint.

What do you think of this page?
Why tell us?