London Borough of Enfield

London Borough of Enfield London Borough of Enfield logo

A to Z of services

New Website

Go and try our new look website and tell us what you think. These changes will make it easier for you to request services and report problems online

New look website.

Other Benefits

View pages in this section

Emergency Support Scheme

From April 2013, Enfield’s Emergency Support Scheme will provide funding to prevent imminent and serious risk to the health and safety of an individual or their family. This will ease severe financial pressure in families facing crisis or support people to establish themselves in the community or help them stay in the community.
This help was formally provided by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) as a Crisis Loan or Community Care Grant.

All payments are discretionary and will be assessed on an individual basis.

Do you qualify for an Emergency Payment?

To qualify for an Emergency Payment the following criteria will apply:

  • you must be aged over 16
  • You should normally be resident in Enfield for a minimum of 6 weeks, unless, you are leaving care following a period in an institution, hospital or residential home and have a local connection to Enfield or are being moved as part of a resettlement programme.
  • You must be responsible for either Housing costs or Council Tax payments.
  • You must be in receipt of a qualifying State Benefit and must not be an excluded person or seeking help for an excluded item.
  • You must not have any savings or access to personal loans that will meet your needs.
  • You must not be eligible for a short term advance or budgeting loan from the DWP.
  • You must also not have received a previous Emergency Payment in the last 6 months.
  • You must be willing to attend a money management course run by Enfield Citizens Advice Bureau, as a condition of receiving support to specific need
  • Not a person subject to immigration control

Local Assistance Grants

These grants may be given to people who need help to establish themselves in the Community after a period in an institution, hospital or residential home or used to help people stay in the community rather than enter institutional care.

They may also be used to help people set up home, as part of a planned resettlement process to care for a prisoner or young offender on temporary release or to ease exceptional pressure on the family.

Payments in this category will be made to cover the cost of furniture and white goods, connecting appliances or essential family expenditure to deal with an unexpected crisis.

A 12-month condition will be applied if you have received a previous grant in the last 12 months. A maximum amount of £1,500 will be agreed.

All other criteria will be the same as for an Emergency Payment.

View more information on what is not covered by the emergency support scheme 

What type of support is provided?

We will decide on the type of support needed and how much is given based on the information you provide us. The way we offer support will include:

  • Vouchers for a local supermarket for specific items,
  • Referral to a local furniture supplier for white goods and furniture
  • Cash in very limited circumstances

Payments are intended to help people over a period of crisis and may not solve the crisis completely. The Council will determine how much the applicant needs to get through the crisis and may not meet all the needs identified.

Why would my application be refused?

There are several reasons why your application may be refused. We may decide that there are other ways of meeting your needs or that the item or service you need is not covered under the Scheme.

If you are ineligible for an Emergency Payment you may be offered a food bank voucher.

What happens if I don’t agree with your decision?

If you disagree with our decision you can ask us to reconsider. You should write to us within four weeks of our decision letter to you, explaining why you do not agree with our decision. A different Officer will review your application.

As this Scheme is discretionary you will have no right of appeal and our final decision will stand.

If you would like to apply for an Emerency Payment or a Local Assistance Grant please follow the attached link

Pre-screening application form

Free internet access is available at all libraries, The Civic Centre, John Wilkes House and the Edmonton Centre

If you need help to make a claim please contact either the Citizen’s Advice Bureau on 020 8375 4170 between 10:00am and 4:00pm or contact your local advice agency or community group.

Emergeny support scheme policy

This page was last updated on 30-Oct-2014.